Are Kohlrabi leaves edible, and what are the unknown benefits and simple recipes? Kohlrabi leaves are not only healthy but also low in calories. It’s a shame to throw them away. Kohlrabi leaves taste like kale or collards, but they are less intense.
Kohlrabi is one of the regional vegetables that we particularly like in spring and summer. There are two varieties of Kohlrabi: green and purple. Despite the difference in color, there is no difference in its nutritional value.
But it is advisable to use small Kohlrabi. These are less woody than the big ones. The tubers should also be intact, and the leaves fresh and firm. But can you eat kohlrabi leaves? Or what to do with kohlrabi leaves?
Are kohlrabi leaves edible?
Kohlrabi leaves are edible. Kohlrabi leaves have twice as much vitamin C as the tuber and also significantly more magnesium. But not only that, the kohlrabi leaves are very spicy and aromatic. Kohlrabi leaves can be used in a variety of ways in the kitchen.
kohlrabi leaves recipe
When I have kohlrabi there, the first thing I do is remove the leaves. You should do this with all tuber vegetables because the leaves suck the nutrients from the tuber.
Then put the kohlrabi leaves in a glass of water. It doesn’t take long, and they are soaked up. So if you put them in freshwater, they last a good 2 to 3 days, sometimes longer.
How to cook kohlrabi leaves to get all the health advantages?
Kohlrabi greens are edible. If the leaves are still small, you can use them raw. They can be sprinkled over salads, or you can make kohlrabi leaves smoothies. The big ones can be cooked like spinach or cooked in soups and stews.
Kohlrabi leaves smoothie recipes
kohlrabi leaves are a true source of energy in many ways. They and rich in vitamin C and can help you boost your immune system.
For kohlrabi leaves smoothie all you need is:
Kohlrabi leaves from a kohlrabi tuber, One banana, One ripe pear, Lemon juice (half lemon), 250 ml of water
kohlrabi leaves smoothie preparation:
- Wash the kohlrabi leaves and remove the stems.
- Roughly chop the leaves with a knife.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into pieces.
- Wash the pears. Remove the core and cut the pear into pieces.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and puree them until you get a creamy consistency.
Recipe for kohlrabi leaves soup.
Kohlrabi leaves soup is a traditional and simple recipe. Kohlrabi leaves together with the tubers into a creamy-fine soup.
For four servings, you need the following ingredients:
Kohlrabi leaves from 5-6 tubers, Three kohlrabies, Two onions, 1 L vegetable broth, 200 ml coconut milk, Four tablespoons of rapeseed oil, Lemon juice, Salt, and pepper.
How to prepare the Kohlrabi leaves soup:
- Peel and dice kohlrabi, finely chop onions.
- Cut kohlrabi leaves into strips, removing stems and thick leaf veins.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sweat the onion cubes until translucent.
- Deglaze with the vegetable stock and add the kohlrabi cubes and strips of leaves.
- Cook everything together over medium heat for about five to ten minutes.
- Add coconut milk and puree the mixture with a hand blender.
Season it with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
It will be especially tasty if you spice up the simple cream soup with an addition of steamed kohlrabi cubes and a few leaf strips. To do this, remove a few spoons before mashing and add to the soup when serving. Good Appetite!
kohlrabi leaves spinach recipe
Creamed or seasoned spinach is a popular vegetable side dish – but you can also make spicy kohlrabi leaves spinach dish in just a few simple steps.
All you need forKohlrabi leaves spinach recipe:
Leaves of 4-5, One onion, Two cloves of garlic, Olive oil, salt, and pepper.
The preparation is effortless:
- Wash kohlrabi leaves, cut them into pieces, remove stems, and thick leaf veins.
- Finely dice the onion, chop or press the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan, sweat the onion cubes and garlic.
- Add the kohlrabi leaves strips and cook over low heat for about 20-25 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Kohlrabi leaf spinach tastes spicier than the original. Its aroma is somewhat reminiscent of that of vine leaves. You can enjoy kohlrabi leaf spinach, for example, with boiled potatoes and fried eggs, or give your pasta sauce the extra spice.
Note: The amount of kohlrabi leaves used on whether it is to be a side dish or a main dish (like spinach). It should then be increased accordingly (doubled or tripled) as well as the number of onions.
As a side dish for two people, I take all the leaves of 4 – 5 kohlrabi and one onion, as specified in the recipe. I use all the leaves of kohlrabi for this – both the large and the small ones.