Obtained from the inner bark of a tree called Cinnamomum, cinnamon was considered a mark of luxury for a long time. Indeed, once, it was more prized than gold!
Its abundant medicinal and preservative properties made it quite a popular spice worldwide.
Cinnamon is used in sweet and savory dishes and for various medicinal purposes for a long. But people are yet to realize the full potential of this valuable spice.
It is now common knowledge that cinnamon is excellent for your overall health. (1) But do you know the cinnamon benefits for hair?
Cinnamon can stimulate hair growth and get rid of dandruff and lice. The spice provides deep nourishment to the scalp and prevents hair loss. It keeps scalp infections at bay and also protects hair from damage. It prevents alopecia in cancer patients and is excellent for overall hair health.
Intrigued? How can you use cinnamon for hair and reap its full benefits? Sure, we know that consuming cinnamon in the diet can do wonders, but how can we use cinnamon to better our hair? The secret lies in the technique. You need to know the right cinnamon hair treatment that will take you closer to your goal.
10 Amazing Cinnamon Benefits for Strong and Shiny Hair
The method of application of cinnamon determines how it would affect your hair. Of course, you want healthy hair, but you can’t use cinnamon to benefit your hair unless you know the right way to do so.
1. Cinnamon Helps in Hair Growth
Who doesn’t yearn for long and beautiful locks? Indeed, people spend so much on hair treatments so that their hair can grow, giving them the freedom to experiment with different styles.
Fortunately, you have the perfect remedy in the form of cinnamon oil for hair growth.
How Cinnamon Stimulates Hair Growth?
Cinnamon boosts blood circulation in the scalp (2). Due to this, the hair follicles are provided with a high supply of oxygen and nutrients, which is invaluable for nourishing and rejuvenating them. This ensures better hair growth.
Studies have revealed that cinnamon essential oil’s topical application improves hair length in rats (3).
This can be attributed to the presence of cinnamaldehyde in the spice that dilates blood vessels. The enhanced blood circulation stimulates hair growth in no time.
How To Use Cinnamon For Hair Growth?
- Take a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and honey and a tablespoon of olive oil and mix them.
- In a separate bowl, whisk one egg.
- Add the whisked egg to the mixture and mix them.
- Apply this hair mask all over the scalp and hair.
- Leave it for around half an hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Repeating this process once weekly will get you the long locks you had always wanted.
There is another hair treatment you can make with cinnamon for hair growth.
- Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and add castor oil to it to make a paste.
- Add around ten drops of rosemary essential oil in it and mix it properly.
- Apply this mixture all over the hair and scalp and massage for around three to five minutes.
- Leave the mixture for at least half an hour before rinsing it off with a mild shampoo.
Using this hair treatment once or twice a week will solve your impending problem of unsatisfactory hair growth in no time!
2. Cinnamon Can Get Rid Of Dandruff
It is indeed amazing how beneficial cinnamon can be for hair health. None of us can bear dandruff in our hair. It’s not only annoying but embarrassing too.
It makes our scalps itchy and makes us so self-conscious about finding the white flakes on our dresses. After all, there is a reason that anti-dandruff shampoos are so much in demand.
But with cinnamon, you have the opportunity to eradicate the problem from the roots!
How Does Cinnamon Work As Anti-Dandruff Solution?
Cinnamon is enriched with antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. Therefore, it is quite capable of fighting against the fungus responsible for dandruff in the scalp. (4)
Furthermore, it also reduces the itchiness that dandruff brings along effectively. The anti-inflammatory properties of the spice enable it to soothe the irritated scalp (5).
How To Use Cinnamon To Treat Dandruff?
- Warm up some extra virgin olive oil in a bowl.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of organic honey and cinnamon powder to it.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and massage it for around five minutes.
- Wait for 40 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Use this technique twice weekly to bid farewell to dandruff forever!
3. Cinnamon Provides Deep Nourishment To The Scalp
Don’t you feel your hair lose its life and appears dull after a while? You have to realize that your hair is exposed to quite harsh conditions every time you step out of the house.
Therefore, it needs every bit of nutrients it can get to flourish. Here’s where cinnamon can make a difference.
How Does Cinnamon Provide Nourishment To The Scalp?
Both cinnamon extract and ground cinnamon have excellent exfoliating properties (6). Thus, they can cleanse the scalp thoroughly, removing all traces of dust and debris. They also unclog the hair follicles in the process. This keeps the scalp healthy.
Furthermore, the increased blood circulation in the scalp (7) due to cinnamon also provides much-needed deep nourishment to the hair follicles.
How To Use Cinnamon To Nourish The Scalp?
- Depending on your hair length and thickness, whisk two or three eggs in a bowl.
- Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder, half-mashed avocado, and some yogurt in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add the whisked egg to the mixture.
- Combine it all nicely, and your hair mask is ready.
- Apply the mask all over your hair from the roots to the tips and massage for a couple of minutes.
- Wash it off after forty minutes with a mild shampoo.
Give your hair a new life by repeating this process once a week!
4. Cinnamon Can Prevent Hair Loss
Hair loss can be quite a nuisance to deal with. It is a terrifying sight to see a lock of hair in your brush every time you use it. The fear of balding can keep anyone awake for nights.
Luckily, nature has provided us with the perfect remedy for the problem in the form of cinnamon.
How Cinnamon Prevents Hair Loss?
The role of cinnamon in preventing hair loss and balding has been substantiated by research. (8) When combined with the right ingredients, cinnamon can strengthen hair follicles.
The antioxidant properties of the spice protect the hair against free radical damage, further preventing breakage. (9)
How To Use Cinnamon To Prevent Hair Loss?
- Take four teaspoons of olive oil and heat it to make it warm.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey to it to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and let it be for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Use this hair treatment of cinnamon once weekly, and forget all about losing your hair!
5. Cinnamon Can Treat Scalp Infections
Scalp infections aren’t easy to deal with. They are painful and troublesome and can be a source of quite a bit of embarrassment. Fortunately for us, cinnamon can benefit hair in more ways than one and is highly capable of warding off these infections.
How Does Cinnamon Treat Scalp Infections?
Cinnamon is enriched with antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. (10) It contains polyphenols that function as natural antioxidants protecting the scalp against damage.
The antimicrobial effects of the spice ensure that the risk of scalp infections is minimized.
How To Use Cinnamon To Treat Scalp Infections?
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder and cinnamon powder in it.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Wash it off with warm water and shampoo after twenty minutes.
Use this hair treatment once a week to prevent scalp infections for good.
6. Cinnamon Can Prevent Hair Damage
Are you worried about your hair appearing dry and damaged? We hear about hair products being introduced as the perfect remedy to the problem.
But they cost a ton and have a lot of synthetic chemicals as well. Why spend so much when we have the ideal and natural solution to use cinnamon to benefit hair?
How Does Cinnamon Prevent Hair Damage?
Cinnamon comprises procyanidins, which are enriched with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antifungal properties.
These ensure that the scalp and hair follicles remain protected from free radical damage and inflammation. (12) They also keep irritation at bay.
How To Use Cinnamon To Prevent Hair Damage?
- Break one banana into small pieces and make a smooth paste of it by blending it.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder, two tablespoons of almond oil, and three tablespoons of honey to it.
- Mix well and apply this blend to your hair.
- Wash off your hair with warm water and shampoo after twenty minutes.
Once a week, this hair treatment application will do wonders in dealing with potential hair damage.
7. Cinnamon Improves Hair Health
The overall health of hair is often compromised due to external factors. There is a reason that people make it a point to visit beauty salons at least once a month for hair treatment.
But don’t fret if you don’t have the time for it. Cinnamon can come to your rescue and make a drastic difference to your hair health in no time.
How Does Cinnamon Improve Hair Health?
Cinnamon is enriched with vitamin C and minerals that are invaluable for improving hair health. The spice contains riboflavin, Vitamin A, niacin, and protein that also positively impact hair health. (13)
How To Use Cinnamon To Improve Hair Health?
There are two hair treatments with cinnamon that you can try.
Cinnamon with egg yolk
- Mix a tablespoon of cinnamon powder, an egg yolk, two tablespoons of yogurt, and one teaspoon of honey in a bowl to form a paste.
- Apply this to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for around twenty minutes after covering your hair with a shower cap.
- Wash it off with warm water and shampoo
- Using this paste once weekly is just what your hair needs for flourishing.
Cinnamon with egg white
- Mix one tablespoon of cinnamon powder, honey, and olive oil along with an egg white and 2 to three drops of sage essential oil to form a paste.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp and put a shower cap on.
- Wash your hair after half an hour with warm water and shampoo, and your work is done!
8. Cinnamon Can Prevent Alopecia In Chemotherapy Patients
Cancer is a tough battle to fight. One of the most worrying aspects of the chemotherapy sessions is alopecia.
This impacts the confidence of cancer patients. But cinnamon can be of immense help in restoring their hair and subsequently their confidence by keeping alopecia at bay.
How Does Cinnamon Prevent Alopecia In Chemotherapy Patients?
Studies have shown that cinnamon bark extracts can prevent alopecia in chemotherapy patients. (14) The spice promotes hair density and growth during the sessions.
How To Use Cinnamon To Prevent Alopecia In Chemotherapy Patients?
- Take one tablespoon of calendula infusion, onion juice, and cinnamon powder and mix it well with a teaspoon of honey and egg yolk.
- Blend them all to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the scalp and hair, ensuring that you don’t rub it in.
- Place a shower cap on and let the mixture be for around half an hour.
- Wash it off with warm water and shampoo.
9. Cinnamon Can Treat Head Lice
Lice are undoubtedly a nightmare! They are itchy and unhygienic and are terrible for your overall confidence.
The problem is that most anti-lice shampoos aren’t really good for overall hair health or leave behind a bad odor. Cinnamon can help deal with this situation by reducing head lice drastically.
How Does Cinnamon Treat Head Lice?
Cinnamon has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help kill the microorganisms responsible for your hair being infested with lice.
Research has made it evident that mixing cinnamon oil with shampoo can reduce head lice drastically. (15)
How To Use Cinnamon To Treat Head Lice?
- Warm around four tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan.
- Add three to five drops of cinnamon essential oil to it and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and hair, making sure to cover the roots and tips
- Leave it for thirty minutes before washing it off with warm hair and shampoo.
Use the remedy once weekly, and the head lice will become history in no time!
10. Cinnamon Can Give Shine To Hair
Many of us feel that our hair loses luster gradually, appearing dull and lifeless. How to make our locks shiny and bouncy again? Yes! Cinnamon is just what you need to get the job done in no time!
How Does Cinnamon Ensure Shiny Hair?
Cinnamon is enriched with antioxidant properties. This protects the hair from free radical damage. Furthermore, it leads to enhanced blood circulation to the scalp that gives the hair follicles the nutrients to thrive. (16)
The deep nourishment and conditioning of the hair scalp by cinnamon makes your hair shine again.
How To Use Cinnamon To Get Shiny Hair?
- Take a tablespoon of honey and two teaspoons of cinnamon and mix well.
- Beat the mixture till the color turns dark and then warm for a little duration.
- Brush your hair and dip your fingertips in the mixture, using them to massage your hair at the forehead and temples. Slowly move to the scalp and massage it.
- Move to the hair once the whole scalp is covered.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap.
- Let the mixture be for a couple of hours before washing it off with warm water. Avoid using any other hair product.
Before you know it, your hair will have the shine you had always wanted!
Frequently Asked Questions by the People
What Does Cinnamon Do To Your Hair?
Cinnamon benefits your hair in more ways than one. It removes buildup from the scalp, stimulating better hair growth. It also increases blood circulation to the scalp, which not only prevents hair loss but is also excellent for your overall hair health. The spice protects your hair from potential damage from free radicals and keeps it shiny and well-nourished.
Can Cinnamon Cause Hair Loss?
Cinnamon oil is excellent for hair growth, but only if you are careful with the method of application. The spice extract has only benefits to offer but has to be diluted with some other base oil like olive or coconut oil.
It doesn’t really have side effects unless, of course, you are allergic to it. Avoid rubbing cinnamon oil directly into the scalp without base oil, and you don’t have to worry about hair loss or any other side effects.
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Cinnamon Water For Hair Growth?
Cinnamon water is enriched with antioxidants that help the body in fighting free radicals. This not only protects you against infections but is also excellent for your hair growth. As your body functions improve, hair follicles get all the nutrients they require to flourish. You will have long, flying hair locks in no time.
Does Mustard Oil And Cinnamon Help In Hair Growth?
Mustard oil gives your hair much-needed nutrients, thereby restoring and rejuvenating your tresses. It also strengthens hair follicles from the root and deep conditions it. When combined with cinnamon, it has the ability to wonder for your locks.
How Do You Use Cinnamon Oil For Hair Growth?
There are multiple ways you can use cinnamon oil for hair growth. A hair mask made from cinnamon and other useful ingredients can make a drastic difference in no more than 15 minutes. When combined with items like honey and rosemary essential oil, Cinnamon can give you long tresses in no time. But be careful with how you prepare it. After all, it’s about your hair health. You can’t afford to take chances.
Share The Magic Of Cinnamon For Hair Now!
Cinnamon undoubtedly does wonders for overall hair health. It promotes hair growth and protects it from damage from dandruff, lice, and so much more. It gives your hair a new lease of life. Indeed, the numerous ways cinnamon benefits hair is incredible.
Have you tried any of the cinnamon remedies for hair? How was the experience for you? Share your cinnamon story with us in the comments below.
Did you find this article helpful? Did it give you the answers you were looking for? Let us know in the comment section below.