Cinnamon as a food preservative needs no introduction. The spice is used daily by people worldwide for various therapeutic purposes and in the diet.
Containing primarily vital oils and other derivatives, cinnamon has antibacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties that make it highly potent. (1)
While everyone uses natural spice, not many are aware of the full range of advantages it can offer. Yes, you must have heard that it is good for health overall, but do you know the cinnamon benefits for skin?
Cinnamon can remove acne and blemishes and add moisture to the skin. It gets rid of the problem of dry skin while also providing the skin with much-needed nourishment. It works as an anti-aging and a natural scrub for the skin. Cinnamon can boost complexion and enhance circulation to the skin. It gives you a fuller look.
But how? How is it that a natural spice used for centuries has such a wide range of effects? How can you acquire the various benefits? The answer lies in its method of use. How you apply cinnamon determines the impact that it will have on your skin.
10 Cinnamon Benefits for Skin Explained!
People spend a ton on skincare products. Unfortunately, a lot of these products, albeit being beneficial, have some side effects too.
Cinnamon is a natural ingredient with no such problems. Cinnamon oil makes it abundantly clear that one doesn’t always have to invest heavily to get clear skin. A simpler alternative is available.
1. Cinnamon Oil Removes Acne
Acne is one of the most significant obstacles to having clear skin. It appears that no matter how hard you try, acne always comes back, knocking on your door.
No product offers a permanent solution. Fortunately, cinnamon oil offers this much-needed benefit to the skin.
How Cinnamon Prevents Acne?
Cinnamon is enriched with anti-microbial, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties. (2). All these play a significant role in acne treatment.
Furthermore, cinnamon also keeps oil production on the face in check. This also prevents further breakouts.
As cinnamon is a natural exfoliant, it removes dead skin cells from the skin, which helps dry out the acne.
How to Use Cinnamon To Prevent and Remove Acne?
The combination of cinnamon and honey works exceptionally well to keep acne at bay. Here’s what you need to do:
- Add a tablespoon of cinnamon powder to a couple of teaspoons of honey. Mix well to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the face, ensuring that acne and pimples are covered.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Use this method daily, and before you know it, acne will have become history.
Cinnamon Recipe for Treating Pimples and Glowing Skin
2. Cinnamon Adds Moisture To The Skin
Skin is subjected to all sorts of external stress. Have you ever wondered why sometimes your face appears so lifeless and dull? It is because of the loss of moisture.
Luckily, cinnamon benefits the skin by providing it with moisture and bringing back a fresh look.
Why does Cinnamon add Moisture To The Skin?
Cinnamon increases the blood flow to the surface of the skin. This makes the skin moist and gives you a more fresh and radiant look. The ability of cinnamon to cause vasodilation is primarily responsible for the enhanced blood flow to the skin surface. (3)
How To Use Cinnamon To Add Moisture To The Skin?
Here’s what you need to do to bring back the lost radiance from your face and make the skin moist:
- Mix 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil with a few drops of olive oil. You can also use petroleum jelly instead of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on your face while being careful to keep it away from the eye to avoid burning.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes before washing it off. Your work is done!
Recommended Read: Cinnamon Benefits for Men
3. Cinnamon Helps in Dry Skin Treatment
Many people complain that they can’t get rid of their skin’s dryness, no matter how hard they try. The dryness makes the skin rough and irritable.
The only solution seems to be applying layers of moisturizer, which makes the skin appear greasy. Cinnamon offers a natural remedy that can take care of dry skin in no time.
How Cinnamon Treats Dry Skin?
As stated earlier, cinnamon is a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells. Thus, it brings back the softness of your skin, keeping dryness at bay.
The anti-proliferative activity of cinnamon enables it to remove dead skin cells. At the same time, the natural spice also plays a critical role in DNA damage response. (4)
How To Use Cinnamon To Treat Dry Skin?
- Combine salt, olive oil, almond oil, honey, and ground cinnamon.
- Mix well to make a scrub
- Apply the mixture directly on your skin and get a soothing home skin therapy that never fails.
Recommended Read: How to Look Beautiful Naturally
4. Cinnamon Nourishes The Skin
Our skin is rarely able to stand the tests of time. The constant stress leads to the loss of glow, making the skin appear dull and lackluster.
Cinnamon is just the thing you need to get back your skin glow and make it look fresh as ever.
How Cinnamon Nourishes The Skin?
It is primarily the free radicals that cause skin damage leading to losing its glow. Cinnamon is enriched with antioxidants that remove the free radicals from the skin, protecting it from long-lasting damage. (5)
As a result, your skin gets back its freshness in no time.
How To Use Cinnamon To Nourish The Skin?
A facemask made with cinnamon and banana is more than enough for skin nourishment. Here’s what you need to do:
- Mashup 1 ripe banana.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it and mix well.
- A couple of drops of honey can also be added to the mixture to make it more effective.
- Apply the mixture as a face mask on your whole face.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes before washing it off.
You will have soft and glowing skin in no time.
5. Cinnamon is an Anti-Aging Solution
Don’t we all hope to retain our youthful look for a long time? For this, we spend a considerable amount on skincare products. Some of these commercial anti-aging solutions do more harm than good.
With cinnamon, you can create a natural anti-aging solution that wouldn’t harm your skin in any way and make it look young as ever!
How Does Cinnamon work as an Anti-Aging?
Skin loses its elasticity with age. This is because of the degradation of collagen in the skin. Cinnamon combats this situation by boosting collagen production.
It has been proven via studies that cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde, which plays a significant role in increasing the collagen levels in the skin. (6)
This isn’t all. Cinnamon has antioxidant properties that destroy the free radicals, protecting the skin from premature aging. (7)
How To Use Cinnamon As An Anti-Aging Solution?
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in two tablespoons of extra virgin oil and mix well.
- Apply the mixture all over the face and neck and leave it for around seven to eight minutes.
- Now massage your face gently so that the oil penetrates the skin.
- Wipe off your face with a damp cloth.
Use this daily to avoid signs of premature aging on your facial skin.
Recommended Read: How to Use Aloe Vera for Skin Whitening.
6. Cinnamon Acts as an Exfoliant
Are you tired of going to the beauty salons frequently to get rid of the blackheads? Don’t you yearn for a natural exfoliator that will get the job done with ease?
You are in luck as cinnamon is capable of fulfilling your requirement perfectly. The best thing is that it can be used on all skin types!
How Does Cinnamon Work as A Natural Exfoliator?
Cinnamon has anti-proliferative properties. (8) Thus, it ensures that dead skin cells are removed instantly from your skin.
Furthermore, the antibacterial and antifungal properties (9) of the natural spice ensure that it works quite effectively as a natural scrub, ensuring that your skin gets rid of all impurities.
How To Use Cinnamon as an Exfoliant?
- Take a couple of tablespoons of coarse cinnamon powder, ensuring that it isn’t too rough on the skin.
- Mix it with two teaspoons of fresh, unflavored yogurt or honey.
- Mix well, and your natural scrub is ready for use.
Use the mixture as a scrub that will remove all the impurities and grime away from your skin in no time.
Recommended Read: Clove Benefits for Skin.
7. Cinnamon Whitens Your Skin
How often have you wished that you could do something about your complexion?
Every day, we hear about new skin lightening products being introduced on the market.
However, most of them damage your skin significantly. What if we tell you that you can obtain the cinnamon benefits for your complexion too? Yes! It is indeed possible!
How Does Cinnamon Whiten Your Skin?
Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties that remove discoloration and redness from the skin. It has a soothing effect on the skin. At the same time, it repairs the skin, giving it an even-toned appearance.
The antioxidant properties of cinnamon also ensure that the skin remains healthy and you get a boost in complexion. The skin stays clean and clear due to the anti-microbial and antiseptic effects of cinnamon. (11)
How To Use Cinnamon For Skin Whitening?
- Prepare a banana puree by putting a few banana slices in a blender.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it, along with some yogurt and a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Mix it all together to form a face mask.
- Apply it all over the face and neck.
- Leave it for around 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once weekly to get the desired results.
There is an alternative, as well.
- Add one tablespoon of cinnamon powder to around three tablespoons of aloe-Vera gel along with half a tablespoon of almond oil.
- Make a smooth paste by combining all the ingredients together.
- Spread it on the face and neck.
- Lave it for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Using this paste twice or thrice a week will give your complexion a dramatic boost.
Recommended Read: 10 Beauty Tips for Glowing Skin without Any Makeup
8. Cinnamon Removes Blemishes
No one likes their face to be clouded with scars and blemishes. But the problem is that getting rid of these isn’t easy. Fortunately, cinnamon can come to the rescue and give you the clear skin you had always wanted.
How Cinnamon Removes Blemishes?
It is quite common to use cinnamon for skin pigmentation. The natural spice is enriched with antioxidants that heal the skin. It removes scar marks and spots, leaving you with a flawless and clear face. (12)
How To Use Cinnamon To Remove Blemishes?
- Dilute two drops of cinnamon oil in 2 drops of coconut oil.
- Apply it on the spots and let the skin soak it in.
- The spots will face away with regular use of this mixture.
9. Cinnamon For The Plumping Effect
Have you always wanted a fuller looking face and lips? Indeed, people are willing to go under the knife for the purpose.
But before you take any drastic measures, why not avail the beauty benefits of cinnamon to get your desired results?
How Does Cinnamon Provide A Plumping Effect?
Cinnamon increases blood supply by initiating vasodilation. The enhanced blood flow to the surface gives you a fuller look and gives you the instant plumped look that you had always wanted. (13)
How To Use Cinnamon To Get The Plumping Effect?
- Mix a small amount of cinnamon powder with petroleum jelly.
- Apply it to your lips.
- Leave it for some time before removing it with a wet tissue.
You will notice the difference soon enough.
10. Cinnamon Treats Eczema
Eczema is quite a common and irritating skin condition. It not only irritates the skin but also leaves light-colored patches.
Naturally, you would want to get instant relief from the problem. Cinnamon provides you with the perfect solution.
How Cinnamon Treats Eczema?
Cinnamon has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties that provide relief from eczema. The anti-inflammatory effects of the spice also help in dealing with the discoloration of the skin that eczema causes.
How To Use Cinnamon To Treat Eczema
- Make a paste of cinnamon and honey in a 1:1 ratio.
- Apply the paste on the affected parts of the skin
- Leave it for half an hour before rinsing your face.
Do this regularly to ensure that signs of eczema disappear from your skin instantly.
Does Cinnamon Whiten Skin?
Yes! Cinnamon has skin lightening properties. It even outs your skin tone while simultaneously getting rid of blemishes, acne scars, redness, and other signs of inflammation.
Cinnamon also increases blood supply to the skin surface, thereby leading to a boost in complexion. It makes your face appears more radiant and clear.
What Does Cinnamon Do To Your Face?
It has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. It is also enriched with antioxidants. So it is more than capable of protecting your skin against potential damage while giving it a well-nourished and youthful look.
Is Cinnamon Good For Skin?
Indeed! The many benefits of cinnamon for the skin make it clear that the natural spice has some excellent outcomes. It makes your skin healthy, fresh, and glowing.
Does Cinnamon Burn Skin?
Not unless you are hypersensitive to it. This is why it is advisable to do a patch test behind your ears before applying any mixture on your face.
Cinnamon isn’t very potent on its own, but those who are allergic or hypersensitive to it can experience a burning sensation.
What to Take Away
Cinnamon undoubtedly has plenty to offer to the skin. It makes your skin healthy, clean, and glowing. It also gets rid of the blemishes and scars and keeps acne at bay.
Indeed, cinnamon’s skin benefits are enough to consider it the perfect beauty remedy you had always wanted.
Have you tried any of the mixtures of cinnamon to gain its potential benefits? How was your experience? Let us know in the comments.
Did this article help you out in finding the answers you were looking for?